Monday, August 22, 2005

9x4x1

The black corded phone was in the house when we bought it and moved in. It sat in a dusty corner and was perhaps first used by my friend Lydia who accompanied me on the long journey from Georgia to New York. Now it sits on the desk or floor of my small apartment. When it rings, I know no one who used to call will be on the other end. In fact, it's very rarely for me. Nowadays, I regard the ringing phone as a suspicious stranger rather than meeting it with the usual anticipation of the past. It is small, plain and appeared in my life as an unexpected and totally negligible item. Now it handles the lions share of my telephone correspondance. I feel an odd suspicion toward it, as though it is a monolith causing an evolutionary effect on my household and perhaps the world. I suppose it's more likely that my life has evolved without the shady support of this unsuspecting, and yet suspect, telephone. Maybe it's the cord that throws me off. Either way, it seems so very strange that I should end up with this item that was never mine when I've lost, albeit somewhat voluntarily, almost every other stable factor in my life.
Remember how Holly Golightly said the cat wasn't hers? It's kind of like that. The phone and I don't belong to one another. I feel like I could throw it out of a cab into the rain, but I know I'd probably run, panicked, down drenched city alleys calling for it and hoping it was alright. That pretty much seems to be the way most relationships in life end. We call people and hope they are alright and wish we had appreciated them more when we had them. Maybe I'll start kissing the phone goodnight and telling it what a good phone it's been. Seems like a logical preemptive measure, don't you think?

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Give it a hug from me, and reassure it that better times are a-comin', and that it will soon be privy to your secrets and everyday chatter, and will not have to wait and wonder much longer who that mysterious dark-haired woman is who drops it like a hot potato. A year isn't a whole lot of time to build up a new "family" to fill the void left by the one that is too confused to know what is best for it.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

By the way, I left a comment on the previous post, in case you missed it.

2:15 PM  
Blogger la fille du fromage said...

you're very sweet. will you be my mommy?

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally found my old phone, and put that old one I hated so much away in storage. It is kind of ironic because I was always so annoyed at how that phone hurt my ear and then the minute I found the better one I found I didn't have that much use for a phone any more.

I'm afraid of my phone now, because I made the mistake of giving donations to the DNC and Kerry's campaign. Now googling my name brings up my address, and I get calls every day asking for just a tiny bit more money...and it kills me because I know I have funded my own spamming. What kind of idiot am I? From now on, I oppose the Bush Junta by force of arms, and stop taking the lazy man's way out.

I think you should just get adopted parents, and use them to make yours jellus. Jeanne adopting you will be a great start. She has her own planet and everything; who wouldn't be jellus?

As for the friends, it is a weird thing but I would think if they were friends worth having they would manage to speak to you once in a while, eternal damnation be damned. Too busy collecting state quarters, no doubt.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I'm old enough to be your mommy biologically, which is more than that furry irishman can say.

I will gladly adopt you. Or befamily you in a more general, ageless way.

Who is that tantalizing anonymous?

4:17 PM  
Blogger la fille du fromage said...

the furry irishman might give me booze, though.
ummm...the anon. poster would be a slightly more demure mister underhill, unless i am sorely mistaken.
i smell poop

5:25 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I thought I recognized the voice from somewhere.

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page Who Links Here